Hello and welcome to my site.
In the three years I’ve been writing like two entirely separate but perfectly functioning demons and have completed three novels and over fifty short stories.
My short stories have been accepted by getting on for thirty publications and I find I get a new ‘yes’ from an editor on average every few weeks. They are a bit like buses, nothing for a couple of months and then three in one day. I list these publications on other pages – they are mainly in the UK and US, but my Christmas tale ‘The Christmas Violin’ has been published by Malawi’s excellent literature magazine, the Nthanda Review. You will find some stuff about me and my writing on other pages, including links to where my short stories have been published.
I’m currently touting my novels ‘The Diarist’ (the story of a life told backwards) and ‘The King of the Crows’ (a horror novel that should go down well with crow enthusiasts) and ‘The Orangerie’ (a psychological thriller) around publishers and agents. No bites yet, but I’ve only been trying in earnest for the last year.
My short story ‘A Brief Moment of Rage’ recently appeared in Flame Tree’s Endless Apocalypse Anthology, tucked neatly between Lord Byron and Arthur Conan Doyle, which is of course where I belong. I’m fairly sure none of the BBC breakfast team came to a sticky end in a Conan Doyle story, but I’m not sure about Lord Byron. Unending Apocalypse blog
As I write this, ‘A brief moment of rage’ has just been selected for Ellen Datlow’s Best Horror of the Year, Volume 11. I’ve seen the table of contents and all the other authors are brilliant, and big hitters. Like Anne Billson. And Joe Hill.
Stephen King just tweeted, congratulating Joe for being selected!
I was really pleased to have my story ‘The Bookmark’ picked up by Woman’s Weekly. I had wondered, given that I write a lot of horror, can I also write something that is comforting and heart warming? Woman’s Weekly has a distribution of over 300K so that’s the widest one of my stories will have been read.
I was pleased to be the featured author for Left Hand Publishers blog for their Terrors Unimagined Anthology. Terrors Unimagined Blog
Check out their trailer for the book! Terrors Unimagined
As ever, I’ve got quite a few stories in the process of being published-
- ‘A Brief Moment of Rage’- Best Horror of the Year Volume 11!!!
- ‘The Long and Terrible Journey of the Very Great Fighter’- Emerging Worlds (Zealot Script)- The front cover artwork will be taken from my story, which is very exciting.
- Easy as the Wind- Transmundane Press In the Air Anthology
- The Broken World- Hello Horror
- The Rediscovered Girl- Fantasia Divinity’s Enchanted Garden Anthology
- Intelligenie- Horror Addicts Kill Switch Anthology
- Los Ninos- Dark Lane Books (my third time in a Dark Lane anthology)
- The Blessing of Song- Electric Spec (my second story with Electric Spec)